contention

The prevalence of a spirit of contention amongst a people is a certain sign of deadness with respect to the things of religion. When men's spirits are hot with contention, they are cold to religion. - Jonathan Edwards “The Book of Mormon does not supplant the Bible. It expands, extends, clarifies, and amplifies our knowledge of the Savior. Surely, this second witness should be cause for great rejoicing by all Christians.” - Joseph B. Wirthlin

Friday, August 13, 2021

Face masks and vaccinations

Because I get asked often, here's what I think about face masks and vaccinations.

I've lived in China and the Philippines. I've worked in Korea, Japan, Taiwan, China, Malaysia, and Thailand, and I've visited those countries plus Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, Singapore, Indonesia, and Vietnam. In all these places, it has long been standard practice to wear a face mask if you have a respiratory illness. It's common sense.

We were living in China when COVID broke out. 

It seems to be a cultural and political issue in the U.S., not because of science, but because of economics. Corporate media profits by controversy. In my view, Church leaders have given common sense advice ever since the COVID outbreak started, regarding both the face masks and the vaccinations.

People can do whatever they want, but I want to be clear that I support Church leaders, including the recent advice. I got vaccinated early on and I have no problem wearing a face mask when it makes sense.

I hope everyone can make good decisions for themselves without being angry or oppositional about others' choices.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this. I mean it from the bottom of my heart—I’m grateful to you for supporting the Brethren and rejecting the crazy conspiracy theories that are so prominent online today.

    I even praised you on my blog in a new post just now. Despite our differences, you deserve credit for being spot-on.

    ReplyDelete